Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Te Wiki o Te Reo Maori

Kia ora and welcome to Maori Language Week. This week we will be using as much Te Reo in class as possible. We will be focusing on greetings, days of the week, commands and counting. Here are some simple ideas that you can use at home:

Greetings:
Morena - Good morning
Kia ora - Hello
Tena koe - Hello to one person
Tena korua - Hello to two people
Tena koutou - Hello to all
Haere ra - goodbye (to someone who is leaving)
E noho ra - goodbye (to someone who is staying)

Commands:
Whakarongo mai - Listen to me
Titiro mai - Look at me
Korero mai - Speak to me
Haere mai - Come here

The whole school is learning to ask and respond to the following question:

"Kei te pēhea koe?" -  How are you?

Some possible answers...   
Kei te pai ahau                      I’m good
Kei te ora ahau                      I’m well
Kei te ngēngē ahau               I’m tired
Kei te koa ahau                     I’m happy
Kei te hiakai ahau                 I’m hungry
Kei te hiainu ahau
                I’m thirsty
Ka nui te ora                          I’m great
Me koe?                                And you?  

Kore rawa e rawaka te reo kotahi - One language is never enough.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment